The extradition barristers at 5SAH have a strong national and international reputation in the areas of extradition and international law. They are at the cutting edge of this fast-paced and ever-evolving practice area.
The team of extradition barristers at 5SAH are experts in both defending and prosecuting extradition cases. Our barristers have a strong reputation, nationally and internationally on advising a representing in extradition proceedings. We work with teams of UK solicitors and foreign extradition lawyers as well as academic and political experts to provide the best service to our clients.
The team are ranked in Chambers and Partners and the Legal 500. They also have one silk and seven juniors who are individually ranked in the Legal 500 and Chambers and Partners.
"the extradition barristers at 5 St Andrew's Hill are hugely experienced and have a massive knowledge base."
'well known for extradition work', with 'a strong cadre' of 'talented and experienced extradition lawyers'.
Chambers and Partners and The Legal 500 2021.
Our extradition barristers deal with cases under the European Arrest Warrant (EAW) system and cases outside Europe including Westminster Magistrates’ Court, appeals to the Divisional and Administrative Courts, Supreme Court and the European Court of Human Rights.
"5 St Andrews Hill is well respected for its strength in extradition cases. Known for bringing 'a powerful armoury to international cases of the highest profile.' ''
Legal 500 2020
"All the barristers know the law better than the judges. I feel the cases are in safe hands when their barristers are instructed as counsel."
Chambers and Partners 2020
Click here to make an enquiry and speak with our extradition clerking team.
5SAH's extradition barristers are often instructed in the following matters:
- Advice and representation on European Arrest Warrants (EAW).
- Advice and representation on requests from Category 2 territories and those with whom the UK has ad hoc extradition arrangements.
- Appeals against extradition and the Secretary of State for the Home Department.
- Preparation of applications to the High Court for habeas corpus and judicial review proceedings.
- Advice and representation of defendants and foreign governments in proceedings before the Supreme Court and European Court of Human Rights (ECHR) including Rule 34 and Rule 39 applications.
- Advice prior to extradition requests being made.
- Removal of INTERPOL Red Notices.
- Advice on Mutual Legal Assistance matters.
'A set offering significant expertise in serious extradition cases with strength at both the junior and silk levels. It regularly handles a wide range of extradition matters relating to prison conditions, political corruption and fraud proceedings.'
Chambers and Partners 2020
European Arrest Warrants (EAW)
Our barristers represent in cases before Westminster Magistrates’ Court, and appeals to the Divisional and Administrative Courts, Supreme Court and the European Court of Human Rights. In cases from all over the EU. Extradition Barristers are experienced in dealing with cases involving police and judicial corruption, prison conditions, torture political persecution and human rights. Offences including of Murder, Rape, terrorism, serious and complex fraud, sanctions, drug trafficking and people trafficking.
Part 2 Extradition Requests
The Extradition barristers represent individuals and states in Part 2 extradition cases. These cases are complex and high profile requiring considerable expertise. We work with lawyers in foreign states to try and find solutions for our clients and provide exceptional expertise in part 2 extradition cases. Important cases include:
- Russian Corporate raiding cases
- Ukrainian prosecutions for political purposes
- Kazakhstan political extradition
- Moldovan people trafficking and prison conditions
- Turkish extraditions prison conditions, terrorism and politics
- Turkish – representing alleged member of the PKK
- Azerbaijan, fraud, political corruption and embezzlement
- Rwandan Genocide
- USA hacking
- USA drug importation
- Kenyan extradition
- Nigerian extradition
- Albanian murder and political corruption
- Indian extradition cases of fraud and drug trafficking
- Arminian Extradition
- UAE cheque fraud, torture and corruption
- Swiss extradition for fraud and violence
- Canadian extradition
- South African extradition on theft of gold mining equipment
- Croatia war crimes
- Australian extradition for drug trafficking
- Saudi Arabia
European Court of Human Rights
Our extradition barristers frequently deal with cases before the ECHR and make applications for interim relief under Rule 39 of the ECHR rules to prevent extradition, both for clients inside and outside the UK.
Barristers also advise on cases before the UN Special Procedure Committees and especially the United Nations Committee Against Torture as well as referring matters to the Special Rapporteurs.
Mutual Legal Assistance
The extradition barristers also provide advice on Mutual Legal Assistance including European Investigation orders and can assist in strategy a representation in cross-boarder cases.
Transfer of sentenced prisoners
Barristers also have expertise in the transfer of sentences persons under international conventions and challenging those transfer before the UK and International courts.
To speak with our experienced clerking team further about which barrister will best suit your case, please contact our clerking team here.
Make an enquiry
+44 (0) 207 332 5400