The extradition barristers at 5 St Andrew’s Hill have a strong national and international reputation in the areas of extradition and international law. They are at the cutting edge of this fast-paced and ever-evolving practice area.
The barristers in the team are often called upon to speak to the media as they are renowned for their expertise. The team and various members are ranked in the Legal 500 and members of the team are also ranked within Chambers and Partners.
Extradition and International
The team of extradition barristers at 5 St Andrew's Hill are experts in both defending and prosecuting extradition cases. 5 St Andrew's Hill has a strong reputation for extradition work and represents requested persons in proceedings both inside and outside the European Arrest Warrant (EAW) system including Westminster Magistrates’ Court, and appeals to the Divisional and Administrative Courts, Supreme Court and the European Court of Human Rights.
5 St Andrews Hill is ‘a very well-respected and known extradition set that can be relied upon for counsel at short notice’.
Legal 500 2019.
The Legal 500 rank the team in Tier 3 for their expertise in International Crime and Extradition.
Individually our expertise continues to be recognised with five of our junior barristers ranked within the Legal 500 and six within Chambers and Partners for their expertise in Extradition.
- David Josse Q.C. is ranked in both Chambers and Partners and the Legal 500.
With ‘a vast array of talent in the field’, the ‘well-respected’ 5 St Andrews Hill is ‘one of the go-to extradition sets.’
Legal 500 2019.
5SAH made submissions to the House of Lords Extradition Law Committee in 2015. Ben Keith and Louisa Collins made submissions on behalf Criminal Bar Association and Ben Keith gave evidence to the Committee.
5SAH's extradition barristers are often instructed in the following matters:
- Advice and representation on European Arrest Warrants (EAW).
- Advice and representation on requests from Category 2 territories and those with whom the UK has ad hoc extradition arrangements.
- Appeals against extradition and the Secretary of State for the Home Department.
- Preparation of applications to the High Court for habeas corpus and judicial review proceedings.
- Advice and representation of defendants and foreign governments in proceedings before the Supreme Court and European Court of Human Rights (ECHR) including Rule 34 and Rule 39 applications.
- Advice prior to extradition requests being made.
- Removal of INTERPOL Red Notices.
- Advice on Mutual Legal Assistance matters.
Our extradition barristers are also able to advise on abuse of process in relation to the use of foreign evidence and extradition from foreign states to the UK.
Make an enquiry
+44 (0) 207 332 5400