Sophia joined 5SAH following the completion of pupillage at a leading set of criminal chambers. She prosecutes and defends in a wide range of criminal cases and is Youth Court qualified. Sophia also has experience of regulatory proceedings.
Sophia is keen to extend her practice into Chambers’ other practice areas. She is supervised by Mark Cotter QC.
Before starting pupillage, Sophia worked at Kingsley Napley LLP as a criminal litigation paralegal. She worked on a number of significant cases involving corporate fraud, extradition and private prosecutions. Alongside this she wrote her LLM thesis on the corporate criminal liability of UK companies for violent human rights abuses overseas.
Prior to this Sophia worked for three years as a Human Rights Observer with Peace Brigades International (PBI) in Colombia and is now a Trustee for PBI UK. She also interned at NATO, where she coordinated the drafting of multinational policy papers to facilitate requests of international assistance. These documents continue to be used today.
Professional Appointments and Memberships
- CPS External Advocates Panel (Grade I).
- Government Legal Department 'Junior Junior' Scheme Member.
- Nursing and Midwifery Council Authorised Case Presenter.
- LLM (Distinction) Professional Legal Skills including BPTC, City University
- Graduate Diploma in Law, City University
- MPhil Latin American Studies, University of Oxford
- MA (Hons) International Relations & Spanish, University of St Andrews
- Criminal Bar Association (CBA).
- Young Fraud Lawyers Association (YFLA).
- The Honourable Society of Lincoln’s Inn (Lord Denning Scholar)
Sophia regularly defends clients in the Magistrates’, Youth, and Crown Courts. She has experience of a wide range of offences including drugs, fraud, property and violent offences. Sophia has experience of challenging unlawful searches and arrests by police, as well as opposing applications for court orders including criminal behaviour orders and confiscation orders.
Sophia is experienced in dealing with young and vulnerable defendants and witnesses including the use of intermediaries. She has completed specialist training in youth court advocacy.
Sophia is a CPS Grade 1 prosecutor, and has prosecuted trials in the Magistrates’, Youth Court and appeals at the Crown Court. She has experience of prosecuting multi-handed trials.
Sophia accepts instructions in extradition and related matters. She has a keen interest in international criminal matters.
Sophia has previously been instructed to present cases on behalf of the Nursing and Midwifery Council, including interim order applications and substantive order review hearings.