|Date:||Wednesday 26th April 2023|
|Cost:||See MBL Seminars webiste for further details|
Maria Scotland presents a webinar for MBL on Private Law Children Cases & Domestic Abuse and Practice & Procedure Update
- This webinar will cover the key changes in private law children practice made by the DAA 2021 including the measures intended to support victims and protect them (from their alleged abuser) during proceedings.
- The Domestic Abuse Act 2021 (DAA 2021) received Royal Assent in April 2021 but we are only now starting to see in practice the effect and implementation of the wide-ranging changes to the law, including the definition of abuse, the cross-examination of victims of abuse and orders that may be made by the court.
- This webinar will cover the recent caselaw together with the changes to practice and procedure.
What You Will Learn
This webinar will cover the following:
- Tips on how to implement the DAA 2021 where there are allegations of abuse, both when representing the victim and the abused
- Consideration of the specific sections of the DAA:
- The definition of molestation and its relevance to non-molestation orders (ss.1.3 DAA 2021)
- The special measures as to evidence and participation in proceedings (s.63 DAA 2021)
- The prohibition of cross-examination of victims of domestic abuse (under s.65 and s.66 DAA 2021)
- The changes to s.91(14) CA 1989 orders (s.67 DAA 2021)
- Consideration of the recent caselaw and the important changes relating to cases where there are allegations or findings of abuse including
- Guidance on fact-finding hearings
- A reminder to ensure that PD12J is engaged properly
This pre-recorded webinar will be streamed at 12:30 pm on Wednesday 26th April 2023 and will remain available to view by delegates who have registered by then for 90 days.
Maria Scotland practices exclusively in family law with a specialism in high-end/ big money financial remedy applications and (private law) children work. She accepts instructions to act through a solicitor or directly from members of the public on a Direct Access basis.
Maria is ranked in the Legal 500 in family law (including divorce & financial remedy). She is one of the leading family law juniors and is the joint head of the Family Team at 5SAH. Maria is a qualified arbitrator in financial matters.