Gary is a talented and dedicated barrister who specialises in POCA, Asset Forfeiture and Business Crime. His approach to cases is distinguished by careful preparation and measured execution.
Gary is ranked in the Legal 500 and Chambers and Partners for his work in proceeds of crime and asset forfeiture.
"Measured, careful and very good with clients," "he knows this area of law (POCA & Asset Forfeiture) inside out."
Chambers and Partners 2020.
‘ He is very conscientious and provides clear, concise advice. ’
Legal 500 2020.
He has recently appeared in the following high-profile cases:
- Junior counsel in the case of Moss  EWCA Crim 50: concerning the recognition and enforcement of a confiscation order abroad.
- Gary represented the prosecution in the appeal of Benos|  EWCA Crim 1093: This was a case concerning a deed of variation to a will and the legal effect of conditions precedent contained within the deed. The Court of Appeal described his written submission as “powerful”.
- Gary represented the prosecution in the appeal of Gbadebo  EWCA Crim 2508: A case concerning out of time appeals and fresh evidence.
- He has been instructed since 2015 in a large asset recovery case in Costa Rica, which is currently focused on the private prosecution of a Costa Rican trustee for misappropriation of the trust assets.
‘Very direct, which helps focus clients’ minds in multi-handed cases.’
Legal 500 2019.
He is highly proficient in cases involving asset forfeiture and confiscation and represented the interests of Sarah Tighe (the wife of Tom Hayes: convicted of manipulating LIBOR rates) in confiscation proceedings.
Gary has experience in international criminal cases having acted in a high profile case at the Tribunal of the First Judicial Circuit, South, in Costa Rica. He was part of an international defence team who successfully represented Ann Patton in relation to an allegation that she murdered her husband, the successful Wall Street trader John Bender. Gary is fluent in Spanish which enabled him to play an active part in the preparation as well as assisting the legal teams with interpreting legal documentation that formed the basis of the case. Click here to read the Daily Mail news article.
His experience in complex financial crime and asset forfeiture has allowed Gary to develop his practice over the years. He acted for the Claimant in the trial of the enforcement of a $2 million US Judgment in the High Court.
He has advised on multi-jurisdictional asset recovery cases involving off-shore trusts.
His practice includes areas such as business crime, asset recovery and civil fraud, insolvency, and licensing.
Professional panel appointments
- Gary is a Grade 3 Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) prosecutor.
- Gary is on the approved CPS list of Rape advocates.
- Gary is on the approved CPS List of Proceeds of Crime and Fraud advocates.
- Sits as Legal Advisor to Royal Borough of Greenwich Licensing Sub-Committee.
- Band C (10 years' call and above) appointed advocate for the General Dental Council (GDC).
Lectures and seminars
Gary regularly provides lectures and seminars on a variety of subjects. He has recently covered the following subjects:
- Criminal Aspects of Corporate Insolvency.
- Making and Enforcing Confiscation Orders.
- Recent Developments in Cash Forfeiture.
- Money Laundering Prosecutions.
- Licensing Law.
- SEV and Gambling Law
Fluent in Spanish.
- Inns of Court Law School, Bar Vocational Course.
- University of Kent at Canterbury: English and Spanish Law.
- Year at Complutense University in Madrid: Diploma in Spanish Law.
- Grays Inn.
- Criminal Bar Association.
- South Eastern Circuit.
- Proceeds of Crime Lawyers Association.
- Fraud Lawyers Association.
Gary has represented defendants throughout his career at the Bar. He has acted in the most serious of criminal cases including sexual offences, violence and the supply of drugs. Gary has also been led on cases involving allegations of murder, conspiracy to murder and appearing alone in relation to an attempted murder.
Cases of Note
ASSET RECOVERY, CIVIL FRAUD AND CONFISCATION
Superior Composite Structures LLC v Parrish  EWHC 3688 (QB)
Acted for the Claimant, a US company in a trial of a claim for enforcement of a judgment worth over US$2m obtained in South Dakota. This case involved issues of fraud, principles of natural justice, public policy and Article 6 of the ECHR.
R v Tom Hayes (convicted of LIBOR manipulation)
Represented Sarah Tighe in her application to become a party in contested confiscation proceedings following on from Libor convictions.
R v Chavda
Prosecution Counsel in a complex pharmaceutical drug case involving significant money laundering and complex confiscation proceedings.
R v Hargreaves and Others
Represented one of the main defendant in a substantial trademark fraud
EXTRADITION AND INTERNATIONAL
Costa Rican Public Prosecutor v Ann Maxine Patton
Part of the Defence team successfully acting for the Defendant who was facing a charge of murder. The proceedings took place in Costa Rican and were conducted entirely in Spanish.
Rozanski v Regional Court 3 Penal Department Poland  UKSC 20; (2012) 162 N.L.J. 749
Junior Counsel for the Third Appellant in a case involving consideration of the nature of the time limits in relation to extradition appeals.
R v Scott
Junior Counsel for the defendant charged with unlawful act manslaughter by trapping the deceased in a loft.
R v Smith
Defending an allegation of attempted murder by husband on his wife.
RBG v Ozbourme and Ozbourme
Acted for Local Authority in a successful prosecution in respect of Licensing Offences.
RBG v Units 1- 4,10 & 14 Lyndean Industrial Estate
Acted for RBG in successful application for extension of Closure Order in respect of Industrial Units being used as churches.