A former soccer coach from Tunbridge Wells, who preyed on young boys to satisfy his lust is behind bars after being convicted of historic sex abuse offences.
McKenna, who had a flower shop in St John’s Road, Tunbridge Wells, denied six charges of rape, 17 of indecent assault on a male and one of indecency with a child between 1976 and 2006.
A jury convicted McKenna of four offences of rape, 12 of indecent assault and one of indecency with a child.
McKenna vehemently denied the charges and called his son as a character witness.
Prosecutor, Christopher May said McKenna used his position as a coach to gain the boys’ trust.
“Over a period of time he then took advantage of the opportunity afforded to him to abuse them sexually,” he told Maidstone Crown Court.
McKenna coached teams in Headcorn, High Brooms, Southborough and Cranbrook.
Mr May said there was a previous investigation in the mid-1990s into allegations by two boys of sexual abuse.
McKenna, who had also lived in Cranbrook, made denials when arrested in the 90's and no charges were brought.  He gave an interview at the time claiming it was all a witch hunt.
Mr May said that: “The earlier complaints have been reconsidered in the light of further disclosures which have been made by others who have also come forward to say they were sexually abused by him.”
The three others, who are now adults, came forward in 2012.
Mr May said McKenna, who worked as a swimming pool attendant at Tenterden Leisure Centre, abused the boys aged eight to 15 over a period of 30 years from 1976.
McKenna committed some of the offences when he was a sports instructor at Price Waterhouse in London where there was a swimming pool.
Mr May said McKenna walked into a cubicle naked while a boy was getting changed and rubbed up against him.
His son Jamie McKenna said of the accusations when giving evidence: “There is absolutely no way I would be standing here now if I felt my dad was capable of that.”
Mr McKenna described his father as “a very tactile man”.
Judge Charles Macdonald QC remanded McKenna in custody and will pass sentence on 17 November 2015.  He said he was likely to impose jail in double figures and was considering an extended sentence on the grounds of dangerousness.
To read the full article from KentOnline, click here.