Dan Jones represents Mr McKenna at his sentence following his conviction by a jury of inflicting grievous bodily harm (s.20) on his son. Mr McKenna was sentenced to a suspended sentence.

Mr McKenna broke his teenage son’s jaw with a single punch after Middlesbrough FC’s play-off final defeat two seasons ago was spared jail at a London Court.

The 46-year-old hit his son, Mark McKenna Jr., 18, with a blow the teenager compared to a “metal iron.”

The pair and other relatives had been on a 48-hour drinking binge, which continued in a pub near Wembley Stadium, where their team had just lost 2-0 to Norwich City.

Sentencing him to 18 months imprisonment, suspended for two years, Wood Green Crown Court Recorder Harold Persaud said: “There is no doubt Mark annoyed and irritated you greatly, but you struck him in such a way that it fractured his jaw.

“He said it was like getting hit with a metal iron. That was some strike wasn’t it?

“Both of you were under the influence of alcohol, having been drinking since you arrived in London the day before.”

His lawyer, Daniel Jones told the court: “He expresses deep remorse and says he feels terrible that he had to hit his own son and it kills them both to this day.

“Mr. McKenna senior says their relationship now is ‘brilliant’. His son says his father has helped him with his scaffolding qualification and says his own anger issues contributed to this offence.”

The court heard it is not the first time the defendant has been in trouble.

Prosecutor, Edward Lewis told the judge: “He’s not a man of good character. In the past there are serious offences of violence.” A passing police officer watched the confrontation and witnessed McKenna Sr. hitting his son with the single blow.

In addition to the suspended sentence, Recorder Persaud also ordered a tearful McKenna Sr. to attend 36 days of rehabilitation.

Dan has a busy practice in the crown, magistrates’ and youth courts, accepting instructions to act for both the prosecution and defence.