Join us for the first of our two-part POCA Webinar Series. This complimentary webinar will take place on Wednesday 19 May 2021 at 5:30 PM (London).
5SAH POCA Webinar Series - Part 1 - Topics & Discussions:
- This webinar will provide insight into the practical and legal issues that arise when there are contemporaneous POCA and financial proceedings in the family courts.
- It will provide an overview of the case-law regarding which set of proceedings should take priority, consider the merits and practical issues of a spouse making a POCA section 10A application in the confiscation proceedings and, on the other side of the equation, the role of the CPS as an intervener in the family proceedings.
- It will consider the most recent case-law surrounding section 10A applications and tainted gifts, and provide practical guidance as to the best way to approach cases of this nature.
- Gary Pons is a talented and dedicated barrister. His approach to cases is distinguished by its careful preparation and measured execution. He is ranked in both Chambers and Partners and The Legal 500 for his work in the field of POCA and Asset Forfeiture work (all circuits). His experience in complex financial crime and asset forfeiture has allowed Gary to develop his practice over the years. Gary has experience of foreign criminal proceedings having been involved with two high profile cases in Costa Rica. He frequently advises on multi-jurisdictional asset recovery cases.
- Sarah Wood is Joint Head of the Business Crime Team at 5SAH and is ranked in both Chambers & Partners and Legal 500 for her confiscation and asset recovery work. She is one of a handful of counsel at the Bar with experience of dealing with cases where there are contemporaneous proceedings in the criminal and family courts in relation to the same assets and is therefore able to advise clients and appear in all aspects of both sets of proceedings.