|Date:||Thursday 11th June 2020|
|Cost:||See External CLT website for details|
Maria Scotland has teamed up with Central Law Training, providing a three-hour training session on the complex issue of forum shopping in divorce proceedings. The course details are below:
High profile cases such as Mittal v Mittal, Mantegazza v Mantegazza and Villers v Villiers have shone a light on the topic of forum shopping in international divorce proceedings where more than one country may have jurisdiction to deal with a divorce.
In this intermediate-level course, Maria Scotland will examine the current law in relation to forum shopping in the UK and in what circumstances it may arise. The course is suitable for mid-senior level family lawyers but junior family lawyers who want to increase their knowledge of this complex area of law are also encouraged.
Topics that will be considered include:
- The factors that determine whether an action for divorce (or dissolution of civil partnerships) can be raised in the UK
- In what circumstances a party may want to consider forum shopping.
- The importance of jurisdiction
- The current position in the UK and the EU
- Spousal maintenance
- Contesting forum
- An examination of the recent cases and principles arising out of them.
Maria practices exclusively in family law with a specialism in high end/ big money financial remedy applications and (private law) children work. She accepts instructions to act through a solicitor or directly from members of the public on a Direct Access basis. Maria is the joint head of the Family Team at 5 St Andrew’s Hill.